Neodymium magnet safety tips: Neodymium magnets are very magnetic. Care must be taken to avoid personal injury or damage to the magnet.


1. Strong attraction can cause serious injury.

Neodymium magnets are stronger than other kinds of magnets. The incredibly strong forces between magnets often surprise those unfamiliar with their power. Fingers and other body parts can be sandwiched between two magnets. With larger magnets, this type of injury can be severe.


2. Neodymium magnets are not suitable for children.

Neodymium magnets are not toys. Neodymium magnets should not be exposed to children. Small magnets may present a choking hazard. If multiple magnets are swallowed, they can connect to each other through the intestinal wall. This can cause serious health risks and, if correctly diagnosed, require immediate emergency surgery.


3. Neodymium magnets can affect pacemakers.

 Strong magnetic fields near neodymium magnets can affect pacemakers, ICDs, and other implanted medical devices. Many of these devices have a feature to deactivate them via a magnetic field. Therefore, care must be taken to avoid unintentional deactivation of such devices.


4. Neodymium magnets are fragile and fragile.

Neodymium magnets are made of a hard and brittle material. Although they're made of metal, and they're nickel-plated for a shiny metallic look, they're not as durable as steel. Neodymium magnets may chip, chip, crack or shatter if allowed to bump together. Goggles should be worn when handling magnets, as broken magnets emit small pieces at great speed. Neodymium magnets are not easy to drill or machine.


5. The magnet will affect the magnetic medium.

Strong magnetic fields near neodymium magnets can damage magnetic media such as floppy disks, credit cards, magnetic ID cards, cassette tapes, video tapes, or other such devices. They can also damage televisions, VCRs, computer monitors, and CRT monitors. Avoid placing neodymium magnets near electronic equipment.


6. Neodymium magnets will demagnetize at high temperatures.

Although the operating temperature is usually listed as 80°C (175°F), the actual maximum operating temperature of the magnet may vary depending on the grade, shape of the magnet and how it is used.


7. Neodymium magnet powder or dust is flammable.

Avoid drilling or machining neodymium magnets. This material is highly flammable when ground into dust or powder.


8. People who are allergic to nickel should avoid prolonged exposure to magnets.

A small percentage of people are allergic to nickel, and the allergic reaction can cause redness and a rash. People who are allergic to nickel should avoid direct contact with nickel-plated neodymium magnets.


9. Strong magnetic field will interfere with compass and navigation.

Magnetic fields can affect compasses or magnetometers used in air transport. They can also affect the internal compasses of smartphones and GPS devices.


10. Neodymium magnets will corrode.

Neodymium magnets can rust or corrode when wet. While the triple layer nickel-copper-nickel plating on most of our magnets provides adequate protection for many applications, they are not waterproof. They will corrode and lose their magnetic strength if used underwater, outdoors or in wet environments.




Leave a Reply